Diagrams & Parts of Soccer Field
This soccer field diagram is used by SoccerHelp to show the names of parts of the field; not for showing dimensions. Soccer field dimensions will vary greatly among soccer leagues. check with your league for dimensions of the field you will play on.
- The Penalty Box includes the Goal Box
- Areas include the lines that define them (e.g., the ball is not out of bounds until it totally crosses the line; and the ball must totally cross the line between the goal posts to score).
- See "Center Circle" and "Field Size" definition in the Dictionary
"Spread the Field" Soccer Goal Kick Positions
Showing Kicker's 1st, 2nd & 3rd Choices)
- Diagram is one-half of a 50' x 100' field
- The Goalkeeper is shown taking the kick
- "X" is the player's position (If the kicker can kick farther, move the MF's & F's back)
- A. Start with ball in middle of Goal Box line so the other team must defend both sides
- B. Ideally, use the Goalkeeper to kick or a kicker who can pass with his right or left foot
- C. Sweeper (SW) always follows the kick (i.e., follows the ball)
- D. The receiver should let the ball clear the Penalty Box before touching it. If he doesn't, the referee is supposed to require the kick be taken over, but there is no penalty unless the receiver repeatedly breaks the rule. (Defenders must stay out of the Penalty Box until the ball clears the Penalty Box).
- E. If the kick is to the left (or right), everyone shifts that way & the FB & MF farthest from the ball shift to the front of the goal to protect in case the ball is lost
- F. 1st preference is a pass to the sideto LFB or RFB (left fullback or right fullback)
- G. 2nd preference is a pass to the RMF or LMF
- H. 3rd preference is a long kick over the CMF or to open space toward the side line
- I. If the pass isor, then take the ball out to the side line & pass it down the side line to the next player. Try to keep it out of the center on your end of the field.
- J. If the pass is to the CFB or CMF, they should quickly send a long ball out to the RF or LF (do not dribble in the center close to our goal)
Copyright 1999-2016, David and Kay Huddleston
Legal Notice - Allowed Uses and Copyright Protection. We allow anyone to link to this article or to www.SoccerHelp.com. You may also copy on paper for handouts up to 10 pages from SoccerHelp.com PROVIDED: you include "Source: SoccerHelp.com" at the top or bottom of the article. To copy our work without crediting us is stealing and we WILL protect our copyrights and Trademarks. We would rather be nice than mean, so please follow the guidelines in this paragraph. It is illegal to post any information from SoccerHelp on the internet without written permission from David or Kay Huddleston. If you want to share our information, simply post a link to that page of SoccerHelp. We will allow short quotes of up to 50 words to be posted PROVIDED you do not remove any references to SoccerHelp.com, do NOT disable links, do not copy any images, and provided you add a READABLE FUNCTIONING LINK on the TOP of the same page that goes to www.SoccerHelp.com and says "Copyright www.SoccerHelp.com, used with permission". The link MUST work for both visitors AND search engines and must be at least a size 12 font. We have to enforce this due to blatant theft and to protect our copyrights. We hire a service to look for copyright violations and report violations to the search engines. Taking our original material and making minor changes is still copyright violation and we WILL enforce our copyrights. Thanks for your cooperation.